Monday, April 12, 2010

Karlene Young Wk 2 – Response to Laura Rebecca’s Blog post

Laura Rebecca’s Blog post:
Week 2--reflection: more on The Art of Possibility

I find I'm really enjoying this book; interestingly, some of the books I've read in this program that I've enjoyed most are those written by musicians. :) Much like the "Giving an A" chapter, the fourth chapter, "Making a Contribution" spoke to me on a deep level, both personally and professionally. Many times during the chapter, I reflected on my own life--the decisions that have driven me professionally, the conversations I had with my parents when they were alive--and it became so clear to me how easily we set ourselves up for disappointment when our only goal is "achievement". Having a goal of "making a contribution" sounds so much more reasonable, so much more attainable, and ultimately, so much more valuable (not to imply that value is necessarily a goal either).

In "Leading from Any Chair", I saw some of the philosophical practices that I have always used for many years reinforced. I've often been asked by colleagues--in a tone that implies that I must be somewhat out of my mind--why I would trust my senior students in my Theater classes to direct their own plays. When we give others an opportunity to lead, it doesn't mean that we are surrendering our own power (making the students our 'peers', for example), but rather sharing it in a meaningful and purposeful way. This chapter reminded me the importance of giving others the opportunity to 'be the conductor'.

As for the chapter entitled, "Rule Number 6", I think it should be required reading for anyone in management! I intend on trying the application of 'Rule Number 6' in my classes. I'll let you know how that goes!



My response:
Karlene Young Wk 2 Response to Laura Rebecca’s Week 2--reflection: more on The Art of Possibility

Laura, I too have been so impressed with Zander’s book! Over and over, my thoughts are parallel to his. I loved the statement you made when you said, “When we give others an opportunity to lead, it doesn't mean that we are surrendering our own power… but rather sharing it in a meaningful and purposeful way.”
I love to think about passing on a legacy of loving the arts! How can we purposefully teach the arts without making our students love and appreciate them? We are in the business of “creating” the arts. How could we ever teach without teaching them to create also? Every time we do a role in a play, we are creating a character, very unique, personal, and completely different from other actors, even if we do the same role in the same play. We must always share our knowledge, and not think of it as power. A director does have power over the outcome of his or her play, but it is only in inspiring those we have cast to create their own individual masterpieces. Then we help mold the characters together in the story to create the magic. I love drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment