Thursday, April 1, 2010

Wk 1 reading – Optimism Wins!

I see the authors of The Art of Possibility seeing what I call optimism. When we are pessimistic, the world seems like a dismal place, when we are optimistic; it seems like a kind and happy place. One of their statements on page 21 said resources are going to flow abundantly to you if you are generous and inclusive.
I feel like a great example of this concept is my husband. We’ve known our whole married life that we would never be wealthy, but that’s OK. My husband has been a carpenter by trade for over 30 years. He was a general contractor for many years, and has built hundreds of homes. I would venture to say that 90-95% of his customers would give him a good referral and love to have him build for them again. That’s because he was always in this business to please people. If they didn’t like the way the closet was, he would change it for them. He never believed in change orders, he believed in pleasing people. He was their friend, and they would for the most part always love him as a builder. If we get to heaven together, it will be because he has always been a giver, always looking for ways to serve and love his neighbor.

Zander, B., & Zander, R. S. (2000). The art of possibility:
Transforming professional and personal life. New York: Penguin
Books.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know which blog to respond to Karlene, I think both your blogs on The Art of Possibilities are great. Since, I share your religion, I can see that it's teachings say we should give everyone an A as well as ourselves. We are all children of God and he loves us all. That is all that matters. We all get an A for that. I think your husband sounds like a great businessman with the secret to being successful. Serving others, whether in business or friendship, gives you the most joy. When you are a happy person, others want to be around you. Life is all about your attitude and how you respond to situations. If you always find the positive in a situation, you will be happy. If you always see the negative and complain you will be a grump. I try to always choose to be happy no matter what because, I have learned from being a mother and teacher, your attitude effects how others feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen, as much as something like carpentry can be ones passion, it really is about people and getting by giving. :-)

    ReplyDelete