Monday, April 5, 2010

Wk 2 Reading - Rule #6 – Can I get us to our central selves?

As I read Zander’s book about Rule #6 (Don’t take yourself so damn seriously!) I was prompted to put myself in the place of the Jr. executive who was having a problem with his superior. I am meeting with my superior and a mediator this week. I feel like I can take this lesson to heart this week, and try to get to our central selves for the discussion we need to have. I want to bring in humor and praise her for her support and guidance this past little while in our attempt to comply with the requirements of the drama program I am teaching at our school.
She has encouraged the teachers to cooperate with me in getting a survey filled out, with me present to approve of their scores. The state agency wanted to keep it real and make sure I agreed with the teachers’ appraisals of our relationship in teaching drama together. When she encouraged them over the intercom the last morning, she remarked, “Thank you for getting this done, this grant is worth $45,000 to our school, and it’s important that we do this.”
Though she has been difficult to work with in the past, I feel like I can approach her with requests and limitations I want to impose for next year. Wish me luck!

Zander, B., & Zander, R. S. (2000). The art of possibility: Transforming professional and personal life. New York: Penguin Books.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, Karlene, I feel like we speak the same language, both being drama teachers. How often have we heard, and have we used, the word "center" when trying to achieve focus and relaxation for our students and for ourselves. I love how you connect to the concept of "central self" in your post title.
    Rule #6 can be very useful in dealing with our superiors; as our classmate Kristen suggested, it would be great if there was a way we could anonymously slip them a copy of that chapter! Congrats on your school's grant, too!

    ReplyDelete