Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Karlene Young Wk 3 Reading – It is possible!

Benjamen Zander is a true inspiration and awesome motivational writer. I wrote down two gems this week from chapters 7-9.
Page 119: Performance is not getting your act together, but about opening up to the energy of the audience and of the music, and letting it sing in your unique voice.
For our Celebration of the Arts last week, the 1st graders were darling. I tried to get them to see they just needed to get up and have fun and feel the music for their dance and accompaniment with instruments. I was out there trying to pair up students whose partner wasn’t there, and I got to dance with several students that were alone. The energy of the audience was electric, and we truly had a lot of fun.
Page 126: The Practice of Enrollment
1. Imagine that people are an invitation for enrollment.
2. Stand ready to participate, willing to be moved and inspired.
3. Offer that which lights you up.
4. Have no doubt that others are eager to catch the spark.
The arts are what truly lights me up, and I am always throwing sparks out hoping to inspire students to love the arts. Children truly are “eager to catch the spark.”

Zander, B., & Zander, R. S. (2000). The art of possibility:
Transforming professional and personal life. New York: Penguin
Books.

2 comments:

  1. What strikes me about Zander's book is all of what they are talking about comes from confidence and a belief in yourself. I believe our current school system doesn't really help with this. Some people have come up with misguided ideas like give everyone a trophy and don't keep score to try to help kids build a belief in themselves, but that is not the same as actually accomplishing something. I think what needs to change is the system in school where failure is not re-mediated. There is no time nor effort to let kids learn at their own pace. If they were allowed to keep trying till they got it right, then I think they would do much better work. If at first they don't succeed, they can try and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are completely right Karlene. I am a K-3rd grade art teacher and I am also on a mission to give my students the opportunity to create art. I feel the spark is expressing and showing you passion for the Arts, painting, and or music and they get interested. I don't only teach my students how to paint I paint with them. They watch me very intently. They like my art and they want to be artist too when they grow up. I tell them that it is the best job in the whole world. You just have to play all day:).

    The energy of little children is priceless. There are no worries, issues, or holds bar. They just create. Their artworks are more beautiful than some of the renowned artists in museums.

    I am glad you are enjoying this book. I am too.

    ReplyDelete