Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Karlene Young Wk 4 Reading The Finale Chapters

Zander’s The Art of Possibility has been a wonderful, breath of fresh air in our long, arduous year of studies. I have already recommended it to several people and am inspired by it again and again. In Chapter 10 he states:
“If I cannot be present without resistance to the way things are and act effectively, if I feel myself to be wronged, a loser, or a victim, I will tell myself that some assumption I have made is the source of my difficulty” (p. 143).
I am reminded that life is not fair, it’s the way things are. If I find myself in conflict and feel put out, or like a victim, I just need to turn the tables and say, “OK, what am I assuming? Is that the problem?” If I am assuming that every teacher in my school has as much passion and desire to have their students learn the arts as I do, I’m sure that’s false, no matter how much I wish it. I have to back up and see the whole board, and enjoy my dealings with all of the teachers and their classes. They aren’t all as supportive as I wish, but I can deal with that and enjoy those classes in a different way.
I loved the words about us living up to our potential, and having vision to take any downward spiral thinking into the arena of possibility. Marianne Williamson’s words ring true to my soul:
“You are a child of God. You’re playing small doesn’t serve the world….We were born to make manifest the Glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone, and as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same” (p. 178-9).

One of my favorite children’s songs is taught to every child in our religion from the time they are tiny. Liz has a great video of a small child singing this song. Post it here for me, Liz!

I am a Child of God
I am a Child of God, and He has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do, to live with him someday.

I am a Child of God, and so my needs are great.
Help me to understand His words, before it grows too late.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do, to live with him someday.

I am a Child of God, rich blessings are in store.
If I but learn to do His will, I’ll live with Him once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do, to live with him someday.

The truth can set us free. Free to be all that we can be. I have found harmony and peace reading this book. It has shown me a beautiful melody of life that is free to soar. I want to read and reread this book forever more! Thanks, Joe, for including this in our course.

References
Randall, N. & Pettit, M. (1957). I am a Child of God. Children’s songbook. (1989). Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. p.2.

Williamson, M. (2002). A return to love. New York: Harper Collins.

Zander, B., & Zander, R. S. (2000). The art of possibility: Transforming professional and personal life. New York: Penguin Books.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes when we are so passionate about something, it is so difficult to see why others don't get it. Feeling that the louder we exclaim your belief, the better chance they will have of believing us. The fire inside that a passion for something creates is hard to quench, unless we are finally beaten down and the fire just goes out altogether. I guess the question is: How can we redirect that passion in a way that is supportive of those who might not necessarily see things the same way we do? In theory we know that we are supposed to look for the positive, but sometimes, the emotions those passions bring to the surface, override and logical or reasonable thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karlene, I am also inspired by The Art of Possibility over and over again. I have not recommended it to any one yet but I have shared it with my co-workers. Thanks again for a great idea. The little girl in the photo is so cute. I thought she was your student. I agree that those words from Marianne Williamson were very uplifting and words that we must live by if we want to soar like an eagle. Remember to frame your possibilities and know you are the board of transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karlene, I could not agree with you more, I used the phase, "only one thing I can really control in this life and that is my attitude". I said it different but the meaning is the same. You can choose to be negative about the situation you find yourself in or choose to be positive. The key is, it is your choise. This give you back the power, you are not a victim, life is not happening to you but enstead you are reacting to life. I find that when I remember that my job is not to control my life but to reacte to it, things are much easier to handle.

    ReplyDelete