Thursday, April 1, 2010

Wk 1 reading – Mis steaks welcome

Wow, I am so impressed with the authors’ viewpoints in The Art of Possibility. Their concept and practice of Giving an A is powerful and inspiring. In my religion, we are taught from the time we are small children that we are a child of God. When you look at yourself with that divine spark, you have given yourself an A. Everything is possible when you know that a Supreme Being loves you, and you are in His image. We treat others with that same kind of love and respect, because we know that they too are sons and daughters of God. The powerful stories about music and the passion and depth with which it can be felt and played only strengthened my love for and appreciation of music.
I have a sign on my board that I have taught with for most of the 14 years I have been a teacher. It came from a “Games” class I took as a workshop at BYU for professional development. It reads, “If you’re making MIS STAKES, you’re doing it right!” When I introduce myself to my classes each year, we talk about that sign. I usually have to tell them that “mistakes” is spelled wrong. I feel very strongly that students need to feel safe to be able to risk and perform in a drama or music classroom. If they feel like they’re not doing it right, they often shut down. I ask those that are old enough, “How many mistakes do you think you made while you were learning to read?” They can’t even conceive of an answer to that question, but when I say, “A lot!” they definitely agree. I tell them to take care of themselves and take care of each other, and know that mistakes are a part of life and growing. I often reiterate that saying whenever a mistake is making someone feel bad.

Zander, B., & Zander, R. S. (2000). The art of possibility:
Transforming professional and personal life. New York: Penguin
Books.

2 comments:

  1. @Karlene, What a great title: Mis steaks welcome, I also found this book a great and positive read. I like how you stated you begin the year and introduce yourself by talking about the sign in your room that reads, "If you're making mistakes, you're doing it right". All will agree that students should feel safe and be able to take risk in whatever area they are talented in. I know you're students enjoy having you as their teacher. So keep up the excellent instruction in wisdom.
    -Allison Pope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Education or actually learning is failing forward. :-)

    ReplyDelete